In case there is a 3:1 ratio, it means that there is 1/3rd shrinkage of the tube, when compared to its original diameter. The same concept is applicable if the ratio is 2:1. There are different ratios in which heat shrink tubes are available.
The most suitable ones are those which shrink to faintly smaller size of the cable you are applying to.
With effective tubing facilities, it is possible to extend a strong protective layer on the cables. This not only increases reliability and life extension but the performance of parts and components in different kinds of applications is improved with the same. Mentioned below are some ways in which heat shrink tubing are used:
1. Providing insulation from chemicals and heat – It is a well-known fact that exposure to extreme and high heat and chemicals can cause significant damage to cables and wires. There are tubing, which are heat and flame resistant, and these should be used for insulating electrical systems in various places.
2. Acts as a protective sealant – Cable splices and cables tend to gather dirt and dust. Water seepage in cables is also a common problem. With the help of good tubing, these problems can be avoided in the best possible manner. People looking for moisture and dust control for the cables in their personal computing and home theatre systems should use these tubing as much as possible.
3. Helps in effective soldering – Joining two wire splices can be done more effectively with heat shrink tubing, which is lined with some kind of conductive polymer film. This way of cable joints is more effective than that of soldering. The electrical connection is set up by the inner coating of the polymer film. Along with joining two wires, this helps in providing protection to the wires at the same time.
4. Helps in easy identification – Tangled wires are a common problem. As a result, it becomes difficult to identify the route of the wires. When you have to deal with messy groups of network cables, using tubing is highly recommended. This is also because the tubes come in various colours and colour coding is possible for the wires. This kind of labelling is way better than that of labelling with adhesive tapes and coloured papers.
5. Gives professional appearance – Instead of having mess of cables and wires, putting them in a tubing helps in imparting a professional look and appearance to any place – be it at office, in home or in an automobile. From protection to labelling to strain relief, tubing is a solution to many problems in one.
Make sure that the heat shrink tubes you purchase are of good quality, for sure.